Wednesday, January 13, 2010

let's see how many times i can make my mom cringe...




I was feeling crafty this week so I made a skirt. Without a pattern (cringe #1). Tuesday night I was cruising through Wal-Mart, trying to kill time while Jas was at AWANA, and I found a cute bolt of fabric for only $1.50 per yard (disclaimer: if Target had a fabric department I would never cross the threshold of Wal-Mart ever again. Ever.). So I held it up to myself and thought, hmm 2 yards ought to be enough (cringe #2). I knew I had some elastic at home (no idea the width of the elastic though, which leads us to cringe #3) so a simple elastic skirt would be my next project. Wednesday morning I scanned my blogroll and Google for free skirt patterns. When my search was exhausted and I had found no satisfactory patterns I went to my closet and found a skirt that I like. I folded my material, right sides together, and laid my favorite skirt on top.
I cut around it with about 2 inches on each side to spare and called it good (cringe #4). In my defense, I did prewash the material and lay the skirt on the bias (smile mom, breathe...).


I pulled out my Singer and got to work. The old girl struggled. She skipped stitches and broke threads. If you look closely you'll see that I didn't bother to change the hot pink thread that was already on the machine (cringe #5). I admit, there are some ugly seams; but they are nicely pressed.

All in all it was a good day. I made a skirt, I confirmed that my machine does truly need a tune up and I proved that patterns are unnecessary. But most importantly, I got back in the saddle, stretched my creative muscles and did something for myself. (how ya doin' mom?)

2 comments:

Sallie said...

The only thing that made me cringe was the nasty seams but you redeemed yourself when you said they were neatly pressed. The hot pink thread didn't even bother me because I'm SURE you used it in places it wouldn't be seen, right? Right Jen? I am right aren't I??

Sallie said...

By the way, the skirt I made for the girls for Christmas is easily adaptable for adults. Just a little math involved. I thnk it's on the MADE blogspot.