Saturday, February 4, 2012

new normal

This week has been all about discovering our new "normal".  We started with our school work.  It wasn't pretty but we managed to do an abbreviated version of school this week.  The kids are disappointed that it's time to get back to work, but this is a familiar thing and I thought it would be helpful to establish a daily routine again.  To tell the truth, the routine is hardest on me as we are still living out of suitcases.  I think once we can unpack and spread out it will be easier to start our mornings.

I've been spending a lot of time learning the ins and outs of UK grocery shopping.  I think the most hilarious experience has been mastering control of the trolley (grocery cart).  All four wheels pivot freely so I skid out and take really wide turns.  Also, I'm pretty sure that I'm the only one laughing about it.  The most difficult transition for Cameron has been her food requirements.  She is ridiculously brand-specific when it comes to food so she has come to many points this week where her hunger overrides her stubbornness.  Her progress will be slow but she will survive :)  Oh, and we found McDonald's this week, so no worries.

We signed our lease and got our keys last night.  This morning, Darren met the delivery guys from Ikea and let them in with our beds and couches.  We will shuttle all of our things over to the new place today and start assembling the furniture.  Our fridge doesn't arrive until tomorrow, so I'll have to do a big shop sometime this weekend and get us stocked up.

This week I was able to take the kids out for a walk in our new neighborhood.  We went to the post office and the park.  It was nice to be able to do "normal" mom and kid errands on our own and explore our surroundings a bit.  I love what Cameron wrote on her postcard to a friend, "In Scotland you have to walk a lot." Ha!  I guess she's working on this new normal thing too.

We went to church last Sunday and Darren went to a few meetings and things this week.  Again, new normals to learn.  I think it's good for both of us to work on finding our niche and then come back at the end of the day and relive it for each other.  It feels more "normal" than spending every minute with each other as we have for the past month!

I think next I'll work on a picture glossary of UK terms we are learning.  Off to shoot some pictures...

4 comments:

Sallie said...

I'm sure some of us would enjoy pics or video of you and the trolley!

Anonymous said...

Local gas stations and convenience stores appear to be newport cigarettes experiencing an uptick in sales over the last couple of weeks as the Oneida Indian Nation’s supply of mainstream brand cigarettes dwindles.But earlier this year Kinley Tshering, then a media consultant in the capital, Thimphu, discussed with friends over drinks the jailing of a Buddhist monk for three years for possessing $3 worth of tobacco, one of the first to be prosecuted under a new law banning public smoking cheap newport cigarettes.

Hilary said...

Praying you find your new normal soon!

Jill said...

Jennifer,
Hi, this is Jill we met in Scotland at Scott and Monica's one morning. We are part of the group praying about moving over as well. I love your blog. We are praying for you and your family.