Thursday, July 16, 2009

summer

Now that we are in the middle of summer the memories of my childhood summers are flooding back to me. Jason is 7 years old now and I have clear memories of being 7 and doing some of the same things that he's doing. First of all, Jason loves to play board games and card games. Cameron likes to play too, but she's likely to drop out after a few rounds whereas Jason will play until I drop out. The other day the kids and I were playing LIFE. I usually try to do the "right" thing and start out by going to college (even though you have to start the game with a loan). Jason prefers to take the career route. Inevitably, he ends up with a higher salary than me, a cooler job, and more money at the end of the game. Yesterday, Cameron's profession was professional athlete. She immediately left the living room, ran to her room and put on her baseball shirt, glove and hat. She came back ready to play. Jason was an entertainer, so he ran and got his guitar so he could put on shows during the game. I was a doctor. I lost. I feel weird playing LIFE, it's eerily right on sometimes...

Our other summer activity has been the library. Once again we're in the reading program, earning cool freebies like ice cream, hamburgers, children's museum passes and free books. I can clearly remember walking to the library in Gonzales and picking out a yellow-spined Nancy Drew mystery to read. Then we would cross the street to the post office and I would try to avoid looking at all the FBI wanted posters while my mom checked our box. I guess that's kind of a creepy memory...
Today after we got back from the library I set up the slip n slide, got on my bathing suit and waited to see how long it would take the kids to find me and join in. It wasn't long! Here are a few shots of all the fun (did you honestly think I would post pictures of myself?).



3 comments:

Sallie said...

FBI wanted posters???? Do you need therapy???

Jason is the Master of "Clue" and "Othello" at Nanny and Pops' house!

Hilary said...

It is weird to have vivid memories from the same ages your children are: makes me pray the kids just remember the good stuff! :-)

The summer I turned seven, I broke my arm. No wonder that is the longest summer ever in my memory. It was hot and long and itchy.
Now when it gets cold and rainy, it hurts like crazy.

Mommy to 4_littleindians said...

So glad I found your blog!! Carter loves to play games, especially candyland and battleship and he always seems to win!